<     May 2017     >
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa  
    1  2  3  4  5  6  
 7  8  9 10 11 12 13  
14 15 16 17 18 19 20  
21 22 23 24 25 26 27  
28 29 30 31
00:24 gqrc joined
00:29 <gqrc> Hello, small question : I see on https://github.com/alpinelinux/mkinitfs/blob/master/nlplug-findfs.c#L877 that nlplug-findfs doesn't search for apkovl in other place than the device root directory, is there a reason why ? Is it considerable to make this configurable or set it to 2 to allow placing apkovl in a sub directory ?
00:33 <gqrc> (also, at least on a rpi, nlplug-findfs seems to take several seconds to run, I guess it could be one of the slow thing in the boot, wouldn't it be a good option to let the user specify the "boot device" instead of scanning everything (from what I see at https://github.com/alpinelinux/mkinitfs/blob/master/initramfs-init.in#L427) ?)
01:09 LouisA joined
01:32 s33se joined
03:02 Emperor_Earth joined
03:08 gromero joined
05:25 fabled joined
07:31 vakartel joined
07:33 baliste joined
07:35 baliste_ joined
07:35 cyteen joined
07:36 baliste_ joined
07:45 consus joined
07:48 consus joined
07:55 royger joined
08:21 minimalism joined
08:45 consus_ joined
08:50 consus joined
08:55 <ncopa> minimalism: no UEFI did not make it sorry
09:06 <minimalism> ncopa: Is it still planned for a future release like 3.7?
09:06 <ncopa> yes
09:06 <ncopa> the thing is
09:06 <ncopa> you can set up uefi manually
09:06 black_ant joined
09:06 <ncopa> we just dont support it form the setup script
09:07 <ncopa> i actually looked at it yesterday
09:07 <ncopa> atleast at gpt partitioning
09:07 <ncopa> and realized that it will take some time to fix it
09:07 <ncopa> and will require some testing
09:08 <minimalism> I know you can set it up manually, I was just looking forward to it having default support so I could dd the image to my USB as a rescue disk and easy way to install Alpine.
09:09 <minimalism> That's cool though if it may happen in 3.7. Looking forward to that.
09:10 <ncopa> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Create_UEFI_boot_USB
09:30 BitL0G1c joined
10:29 leo-unglaub joined
10:51 <ncopa> tmh1999_2: it woudl be nice to fix the reso of the s390x build errors in testing
11:10 <scadu> hm, I wonder if it would be possible to send e-mail notification to package maintainer if there is a PR pending. not all maintainers have push access, but it might be useful. e.g. pr 1562 /cc ncopa
11:11 <ncopa> scadu: good idea
11:11 <ncopa> the maintainer could review and accept it
11:11 <ncopa> then we could have some bot who will pull all the maintainer-accepted PRs that passes travis
11:12 <scadu> that might be risky
11:12 <^7heo> nice idea
11:13 <^7heo> scadu: depending on our tests
11:13 <scadu> ^7heo: it would require further discussion on ml
11:13 <^7heo> as always :p
11:13 <scadu> welp, as always there is discussion on channel and most of us is not able to take a part in this or even follow the discussion
11:14 <scadu> since it's an offtop after 10 minutes XD
11:14 <scadu> anyway, email notifications to maintainer about pending PRs would be useful. jirutka, what do you think?
11:14 <^7heo> that's why we have -offtopic
11:14 <scadu> ^7heo: you know what I'm talking about :P
11:19 skrzyp joined
11:22 <fcolista> rnalrd, https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7321
11:23 <fcolista> if abi doesn't break, can we upgrade to 4.5.10 ?
11:23 <rnalrd> should be okay to upgrade
11:24 <fcolista> it requires other -dev pkgs though
11:24 <fcolista> otherwise i apply a patch and leave the smb-package version
11:24 <rnalrd> if they aren't avail in 3.5, then you need to patch
11:24 <fcolista> it's available
11:25 <fcolista> i've added it and is building
11:25 <rnalrd> they need to be in main
11:25 <fcolista> ...so far
11:25 <fcolista> yes
11:25 <fcolista> it's acl-dev
11:25 <fcolista> and it's in main
11:37 <ncopa> fcolista: samba is ok to update
11:38 <ncopa> sasmba has pretty good upstream support for older branches, so for those we can upgrade to latest
11:39 <fcolista> soudns good. I'm building 4.5.10 for 3.5-stable
11:39 <ncopa> +1
11:40 <ncopa> how do you :thumb-up: in irc?
11:42 D630 joined
11:44 <^7heo> how did we fix the issue in samba?
11:45 <ncopa> upgrade to latest fixed version
11:47 <ncopa> i am very annoyed by the busybox udhcpc issue
11:47 <ncopa> that it prints info on stderr
11:49 <consus> If this is not the design flaw the would like to merge a patch I guess
11:49 <consus> *they
11:55 rdutra joined
12:00 <ncopa> consus: it was done on purpose to reduce size
12:00 <ncopa> they removed bb_info_msg
12:01 <ncopa> and replaced tieh bb_error_msg
12:01 <ncopa> fcolista: im working on samba issue on 3.3
12:03 <consus> Err
12:03 <consus> Wow
12:04 <ncopa> consus: which is why i am annoyed :)
12:04 <consus> So they now do not have a distinction between errors and the regular output?
12:04 <ncopa> that is the exact problem
12:05 <consus> In *every* goddamn applet?
12:05 <ncopa> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2017-May/085458.html
12:05 <ncopa> i think it was udhcp mostly
12:05 <ncopa> check the git log
12:07 <consus> networking/ntpd.c: bb_error_msg("setting time to %s.%06u (offset %+fs)", buf, (unsigned)tvn.tv_usec, offset);
12:07 <algitbot> [alpine-aports] testing/mate-menus: upgrade to 1.9.90 - Patchwork: http://patchwork.alpinelinux.org/patch/06/
12:07 <consus> Wow
12:07 <consus> ntpd actually set time
12:07 <consus> That's an error for sure
12:13 <consus> Also it's pretty trivial to make a function that accepts FILE *
12:13 <consus> And two macros for each level
12:13 <consus> stdio/stderr
12:14 <consus> No extra size, everyone is happy
12:20 <ncopa> consus: i actually tried that, but it will add a few bytes
12:20 <ncopa> 100+ bytes i think
12:20 <consus> This is pretty marginal
12:21 <ncopa> i think the reason they removed bb_info_msg was to save fewer bytes than that
12:21 <consus> P_P
12:21 <ncopa> check the git log
12:21 <consus> Yeah
12:21 <consus> 63 bytes
12:25 <consus> Well
12:25 <consus> It does not add anything in my simple stupid test
12:26 <consus> But I should play more with the compiler options
12:27 <jirutka> ncopa: scadu: yes, it’s on my TODO list to write such bot
12:29 <scadu> jirutka: awesome!
12:33 <jirutka> article about Alpine Linux is now on the main page of root.cz (the biggest Czech news server focused on Linux) https://www.root.cz/ !
12:34 <scadu> aw yis
12:34 <fcolista> ncopa, #7319 done
12:34 <jirutka> lol, someone in “discussion” is hating that our virtual variant does not boot on Hyper-V
12:34 <algitbot> Alpine Linux Development: http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7319
12:34 <fcolista> jirutka, \o/
12:34 <algitbot> \o/
12:35 <jirutka> https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/1021
12:35 <scadu> I don't understand nothing, but it's lightweight and focused on security XD
12:35 <jirutka> how the heck use Hyper-V?
12:35 gromero joined
12:36 <jirutka> scadu: you said that you can read Czech a little, didn’t you? :)
12:36 leitao joined
12:37 <scadu> jirutka: more or less :P
12:38 <jirutka> btw the article is not related to our new release, it’s just a coincidence that Petr published it the same day
12:39 <jirutka> I’ve sent him email right after I noticed that to fix information about ppc64le and s390x being in preparation
12:44 <fcolista> ncopa, I'm going to upgrade samba to 4.4.14 in 3.4-stable
12:45 qwerty_ joined
12:50 <ncopa> fcolista, im almost done with amba for 3.4
12:50 <fcolista> ah ok
12:50 <ncopa> there were a couple of libs that disapeared
12:50 <fcolista> acl-dev
12:50 <fcolista> what's the other one?
12:51 <ncopa> acl-dev needed?
12:51 <fcolista> yes
12:51 <ncopa> uhm
12:51 <ncopa> ok, i let you pish it then :)
12:51 <fcolista> it was needed for 3.5-stable as well
12:51 <fcolista> configure requires that
12:58 <ncopa> ok i have samba 4.4.14 built on 3.4
12:58 <ncopa> i think i'll push it?
12:58 <ncopa> ok with you fcolista?
12:58 <fcolista> sounds good ncopa
12:58 <fcolista> my version is still building :)
13:04 farosas joined
13:29 <fcolista> ncopa, is #7327 referring to edge?
13:29 <algitbot> Alpine Linux Development: http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7327
13:29 <fcolista> when i see 3.7
13:29 <fcolista> this is edge, right?
13:29 <fcolista> so a correct commit is:
13:29 <fcolista> main/libtasn1: security fix for CVE-2017-6891. Fixes #7327
13:29 <algitbot> Alpine Linux Development: http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7327
13:31 <ncopa> yes
13:31 <ncopa> 3.7 is git master
13:32 <fcolista> ok cool
13:32 <fcolista> thx
13:47 <leitao> is there a stats of Alpine users per platform? I would like to know how many users will use Alpine on ppc64le.
13:56 <fcolista> ncopa, i'm on libtasn1
13:57 vakartel1 joined
13:59 <ncopa> leitao: we dont have much stats
14:05 <jirutka> leitao: that yet another thing on my TODO list, but this depends on new mirrors infra (with MQTT) :)
14:15 fabled joined
14:39 <ncopa> g++: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)
14:40 <ncopa> i get that when building openjdk8
14:40 <ncopa> dunno what happens
14:40 <Shiz> oh dear
14:40 <ncopa> i have seen it before on my workstation
14:41 <ncopa> but apparently, it does not happen on the builder
14:47 <ncopa> ok, i think i found it
14:47 <ncopa> openjdk will automatically pull inn ccache if it is found
14:49 <^7heo> wait, 3.6 is out already?
14:53 <Shiz> yes
14:53 <ncopa> bah
14:54 <ncopa> im stuck on the g++ segfault
14:54 <^7heo> but but but
14:54 <^7heo> rc2 was out only a couple of days ago
14:55 <^7heo> and there was no rc3
14:55 <^7heo> right?
14:56 <Shiz> ncopa: remove ccache? :P
14:58 <ncopa> yup
14:59 <ncopa> ^7heo: 3.6.0 should have been out 1 May
15:02 <Shiz> ncopa: i wanna go experiment with clang as system compiler btw
15:02 <Shiz> not necessarily for official inclusion anytime soon
15:02 <Shiz> but it seems interesting to pursue
15:02 <ncopa> yes
15:02 <ncopa> i dont think kernel wil build with it yet
15:02 <Shiz> i've got a bunch of patches queued up locally that clean up the llvm-related packages
15:02 <Shiz> yeah it needs the llvmlinux patches for that i think
15:03 <Shiz> but it's okay to have *some* pkgs with gcc build deps
15:03 <Shiz> but the goal is a fully gnu-less toolchain base system :P
15:03 <Shiz> meaning clang, compiler-rt, llvm-libunwind, libc++
15:03 <Shiz> and everything built against that
15:17 <kaniini> hi,
15:17 <kaniini> i'm working on determining viability of moving python2 to community
15:17 <kaniini> i'd like to do this early just to get it out of the way
15:20 <jirutka> I’m afraid that we can’t move python2 to community yet :(
15:20 <jirutka> some non-python pkgs needs python2 to build
15:21 <kaniini> fedora has a lot of patches we can take for that
15:21 <kaniini> they have also been working on making python3 the 'system python'
15:22 <jirutka> hm, yeah, that’s true
15:23 mwbrown joined
15:27 <ncopa> kaniini: sounds like a nice goal for alpine 3.7
15:27 <ncopa> i need to go
15:28 <ncopa> have a nice evening
15:32 <kaniini> yes, i think it's feasible 100%
15:33 <^7heo> Shiz: that would be really great
15:50 <Shiz> i wouldn't make python default to python3
15:50 <Shiz> it's a violation of some or another PEP
15:52 <jirutka> this one https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
15:55 <Shiz> yeah
16:00 leitao joined
16:04 pickfire joined
16:04 leitao joined
16:07 dsabogal joined
16:15 <kaniini> yes, the 'python' command will just be unavailable unless you install python2
16:15 <kaniini> which is compliant with PEP-0394
16:28 leitao joined
16:44 fekepp joined
16:45 scadu joined
16:57 <Shiz> rebuilding llvm
16:57 <Shiz> :(
17:18 fekepp1 joined
18:01 <tmh1999> ncopa : I am working on implementing the EBCDIC in musl, in parallel with making booting s390x in a KVM, whichever comes first I will use it to boot Alpine then we can build packages in testing properly. As a matter of fact, building packages in containers without Alpine kernel brought us some problems.
18:02 <tmh1999> ncopa : so that I postpone working on building/fixing packages in testing, is it okay for now ?
18:43 <kaniini> i'm not ncopa, but seems fine to me
18:49 <ncopa> tmh1999: that is fine with me
18:49 <ncopa> tmh1999: but i think you should talk with #musl ppl re the EBCDIC
18:49 <ncopa> might be they dont want it there
18:50 <tmh1999> ncopa : I talked with dalias last month, he is cool with it, gave me some instructions
18:50 <ncopa> good
18:50 <tmh1999> :D
18:51 <ncopa> im fine with it as long as they are
18:51 <ncopa> point is that we need to cooperate with upstream devs
18:52 <tmh1999> sure I will try. when I have a preliminary patch, I will ask them in irc first then ml
19:00 <tmh1999> actually I booted Alpine s390x in a KVM alright. but that's on my laptop x86_64, which means emulation mode. I still have problem with booting on s390x host, which is "pure" virtualization
19:00 <tmh1999> with some help from kaniini regarding /dev/console last month :)
19:04 trfl joined
19:13 rdutra joined
19:14 Kug3lis joined
19:21 czart_ joined
19:27 nonarkitten joined
19:28 <nonarkitten> Has anyone had any issues with 3.6.0 on the Raspberry Pi 2 (either 1.1 or 1.2 boards)?
19:30 tmh1999_ joined
19:31 tmh1999_2 joined
19:34 <xentec> nonarkitten: which issues?
19:42 ^NIKNAME^ joined
19:42 ^NIKNAME^ left
19:43 tmh1999 joined
20:18 <Shiz> it seems permissions on /var/tmp changed with edge?
20:18 <Shiz> from 777+t root:root to 755 root:root
20:18 <Shiz> that seems problematic
20:20 <trfl> at least with certain php5 configurations (not sure if that part is still default), file uploading breaks
20:20 <trfl> php7 uses /tmp rather than /var/tmp so that remains fine
20:23 tmh1999_watcher joined
20:35 <TemptorSent> kaniini: Would doing something simple like adding an interposer function between apk_tar_parse and apk_sign_ctx_verify_tar that prints the manifest line for each entry be a reasonable approach to implementing manifest-apk-file?
20:39 <TemptorSent> Doing it in that manner would allow us to mark files failing their verification in the manifest if we so choose.
20:40 <trfl> oh, regarding the php5 issue it looks like the default is /tmp so it wouldn't have been a problem on stock config
20:54 <Shiz> jirutka: ping
21:00 czart joined
21:04 minimalism joined
21:14 <nonarkitten> 3.6 simply will not boot for me at all
21:15 <nonarkitten> If I overwrite the /boot folder then it's okay
21:18 LouisA joined
22:16 <jirutka> Shiz: pong
22:16 <Shiz> jirutka: im queuing up a bunch of llvm-related pkg patches
22:17 <Shiz> was wondering if you could take a look at them i na bit :)
22:17 <jirutka> yeah, sure, tomorrow
22:18 <Shiz> sure
22:18 <Shiz> jirutka: id like to make an integrated toolchain from the llvm packages
22:28 <Shiz> e.g.
22:28 <Shiz> clang uses compiler-rt, libc++ and lld
22:28 <Shiz> :P
22:29 <jirutka> I’m curious if clang works on x86 correctly
22:30 <Shiz> what was the current issue w/ it again?
22:32 <jirutka> I don’t remember, please look into git logs for compiler-rt or lld, the commit where I disabled x86 or changed back to use gcc for build
22:32 <jirutka> there’s somewhere log from failed build
22:34 <Shiz> gotcha
22:38 czart joined
22:38 gromero joined
22:45 <Shiz> https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/1574
22:45 <Shiz> there we go
22:50 <jirutka> heh, I must really send GitLab devs some info about my packages… they keep adding more and more bloat and yet my gitlab-ce package decreases in size, b/c on every update I found new ways how to optimize size (i.e. found what is redundant or unused)
22:51 <jirutka> today I found that Bundler is stupid and for unknown reason there are binaries of native extensions in three copies… and also all intermediate files (.o) and sources
23:18 <xentec> If you want bloatless gitlab, you might consider using gitea
23:19 <jirutka> nope
23:20 <jirutka> 1st this is not for myself, but company and faculty I work for and they want all the GitLab features
23:20 <jirutka> 2nd for myself I don’t want any of these, GitLab for bloat, Gitea for Go
23:20 <xentec> I thought so
23:21 <Shiz> why you dismiss something on the language it is written in is a eternal mystery to me
23:21 <Shiz> i don't dismiss clang because it's C++ either :p
23:21 <jirutka> it’s more complicated… there are practical and ideological reasons
23:22 <xentec> I suspect jirutka got scarred by its "elaborate" deps handling
23:22 <jirutka> this is one of them
23:41 rdutra joined
23:42 <Shiz> i wonder which patches freebsd carries for packagse to work with clang
23:43 <Shiz> jirutka: btw, don't try building LLVM as MinSizeRel
23:43 <Shiz> turns out that doesnt work and breaks the build
23:43 <jirutka> have I tried it?
23:43 <jirutka> I mean, is it currently set to MinSizeRel in abuild?
23:43 <jirutka> I remember that it didn’t work in some pkg, maybe itjs this one
23:44 <Shiz> no, just taking a note
23:44 <Shiz> :P
23:44 <Shiz> i tried it
23:45 <jirutka> okay :)
23:45 <kaniini> TemptorSent: i will try to look at it
23:45 <Shiz> my llvm-tests branch has tests for all llvm packages
23:45 <jirutka> perfect!
23:45 <Shiz> im now working in a system-llvm branch that attempts to make clang the system compiler
23:45 <Shiz> hold my beer, and stuff
23:46 <kaniini> ok
23:46 <kaniini> i'll go ahead and merge 1574
23:46 <jirutka> Shiz: I’ll invite you for a beer on October (at LinuxDays) ;)
23:47 <Shiz> :P
23:47 <Shiz> where's lxdays?
23:48 <jirutka> in Prague
23:48 <jirutka> October 7–8
23:49 <jirutka> where the heck is English version of the conference site…
23:49 <Shiz> i hope ithe conference isn't in czech :P
23:50 <jirutka> more than half of the talks will be in English
23:51 <jirutka> I wrote to the conference organizer to fix this ASAP